How to Obtain a Student Visa

New York English Academy is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. As we are an English Language school as well as vocational school, we can issue a Form I-20 (Certificate for Eligibility) for Non-immigrant student status through the Office of International Students (OIS). The Form I-20 is the application for Student Visa Status for international students.

There are five Steps to obtain Student Visa!

Visa TipsStudent Process Steps: How to Navigate the U.S. Immigration System

step.1Complete to register for Full Time Course

All International Students coming from abroad must enter the full-time intensive program (18 hours of study per week), not part-time program (Please note: to obtain a student's visa you must register for a minimum of 8 weeks course or more, maximum is one year)

In order to complete this step, fill out the enrollment agreement and send it to the school by e-mail or fax.
An Original Enrollment Agreement is submitted when you reach school. (mentioning this is not needed)

*The person under B1/B2 visa status cannot register a Full-time program admission.(18hours/week)

  1. Choose the program as well as the lengths of the course.
  2. Submit Enrollment Agreement by Fax (1-212-808-4749) or E-mail.
  3. Complete tuition fee, I-20 processing fee, registration fee and postage fee must be paid in advance in order for the school to proceed with your registration.

Accepted payment methods

  • Credit Card Visa / Master / American Express
  • Checks Personal Checks / Travelers Checks / Money Orders
  • Other methods Cash / Bank wire transfer / Venmo / Paypal

step.2Submit required documents to obtain I-20

To receive I-20, you are required to submit additional documents besides Enrollment Agreement mentioned above. You must show that you have sufficient funds or financial support. In order to do this you should have:

A completed New York English Academy I-20 Application Form

  • Bank statement or a letter in English showing that the student has the required amount of funds that will be available for student use. If students intend to live with a family member while studying, the student must provide a notarized letter from their relative stating that they are taking responsibility of for the student's room and board. This letter will fulfill the requirements for "living expenses."
  • Affidavit of Support form - must be filled and signed by the person who will sponsor the student by submitting his/her bank account.
  • Copy of passport

step.3Receive I-20 along with Welcome Kit

The school will issue I-20 and send it along with Welcome Kit via Fed Ex within a week after confirming all the documents as well as payments.

step.4Start procedure to obtain Student Visa

"In most countries, first time student visa applicants are required to appear for an in-person interview. However, each embassy and consulate sets its own interview policies and procedures regarding student visas. Students should consult Embassy web sites or call for specific application instructions.

To the extent possible, students should bring the documents suggested below, as well as any other documents that might help establish their ties to the local community." (-Travel State Government in USA)

To find information specific to your country or region, you may also go to the Web site of your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate by clicking Locate a Consular Office.

Required documents for a student visa

  • A passport valid for traveling to the United States
  • An appointment for the interview
  • Neccessary documents needed to submit at the interview
  • Must pay I-901 (SEVIS FEE) and print the receipt
  • Visa Application Fee

Keep in mind that June, July, and August are the busiest months in most consular sections, and interview appointments are the most difficult to get during that period. Students need to plan ahead to avoid having to make repeat visits to the Embassy.

Students must show that they have ties to their home country.This is to ensure that the student will return home after their studies. Acceptable proof includes family and other commitments to your home country.

Visa TipsHow to apply for a Student Visa (F1 visa)

step.5Receive a student visa

Once you receive your visa from the embassy, inform the school about that, as well as your intended departure date.

New York English Academy is not responsible for approving your Visa status. The decision of approving completely depends on the US embassy or Consulate in your respective country.
You must return everything New York English Academy mailed to you with the denial from US Consulate. Refund will be given within 45 days after receiving the documents.

If your visa is denied or you canceled the admission, you will be refunded the amount you paid after deducting the following;

  • International express $110.00(In case you canceled the admission before we post documents, it would be refundable)
  • I-20 Processing fee:$100.00
  • Program registration fee:$100.00

For Transfer Students in USA

If you are attending a college or university or language schools in the United States, you must obtain a Transfer Form from New York English Academy. Be sure to complete the Transfer Form from the current school (or the school you last attended).Your SEVIS record must be released from your former school to the New York English Academy.

Step 1
Complete to register for Full Time Course that supports your I-20
Step 2
Submit required documents to School to obtain I-20
Step 3
Receive I-20 from School

Besides listed items in Step 1-2, additional documents are;

  • Transfer Form
  • Copy of Current I-20

If you have any questions, please contact us